Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Weekend

Well, I’ve been sick for the last few days, so I only really felt like posting Chapter 2, yesterday, which I had already written last week. I haven’t updated on what we have been up to for a while, so let’s see what I can remember!


Geelong was inundated with cyclists over the weekend (and in the weeks leading up to last weekend). The UCI racing championships were held here, which at first I, like many others, thought would just be a major traffic issue! During the 5 days of racing a huge number of Geelong streets were closed off to traffic during the day, meaning that getting around was a challenge and required quite a bit of planning. However as the week progressed and I watched the coverage on TV and found out more about the UCI race, I discovered that it was actually quite an honour to have the race in our own town.

In 77 years, the race has only been held outside of Europe seven times, Geelong being the seventh. It has a huge following in Europe, which meant that our small town was being telecast all over the world and being seen by millions of people worldwide!

So on Sunday after church, along with half of our church, we wandered off to watch some of the racing. Part of the racing course went right past the street our church is on so it was quite the place to be following the service – the building emptied pretty quickly! :)

It was beautiful spring weather, in fact so sunny that I got sunburnt! I know I shouldn’t be excited, but it’s my first sunburn leading up to summer, so I am a little bit excited to get the tanning started! I know, I know, bad Sharen!

It was a great afternoon, except I forgot my camera so I have no pictures! The atmosphere was so upbeat! Everyone loves a good sporting event here and the cycling was no exception. The thing I love most about Australian crowds at sporting events is the way that they always cheer for everyone. Yes, the Aussie competitors got the loudest ones, but we also love the effort that the riders put in, so the athletes that got the next biggest cheers were the ones that were coming last – way last!!

On Saturday morning I had a gorgeous brunch with a group of girls that I went to high school with! A couple of the girls I hadn’t seen for a couple of years, so it was really great to catch up with what’s been happening in their lives over the last few years. A couple of us are married, one is expecting her first baby...well babies...twins! Crazy!! We enjoyed some yummy food at a beachfront cafe, basking in the beautiful sunshine.

All in all it was a great weekend (well, until I got sick on Sunday night, but I’ll save whoever reads this from the details of that!) and a great finish to the school holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment