Saturday, May 7, 2011

Phillip Island musings

I thought I would link up to Kelly's Korner Show us Your Life - Vacation Spots. I imagine after our USA holiday that I might have a few new favourite locations to holiday, but my very favourite place is Phillip Island.

Phillip Island is a world famous island here in Victoria, Australia. It has one of the motocross GP's held there and possible even more famous is the penguin parade.

My grandparents have owned a holiday home there for about 15 years (I think!) and so we have been very blessed to be able to stay there at least once a year. I think I would be very hard pressed to find a year we didn't go to "the island", as we call it!

It is only about a two hour drive from home for us (in good traffic - a little longer if the traffic is bad!) so it is the perfect location for long weekends.

When I was growing up we usually also spent at least a week each summer there.

I couldn't find a photo on my computer of the front of our house, but this is the view from the back veranda.

My grandparents house is in the perfect location. We are halfway between the Islands main town (only town, really!) and the famed penguin parade.

The islands main street in Cowes

The above photo is looking up main street, and below is at the end of the street looking out over the bay!

One of our favourite activities on the island is A Maze'N Things - a small activity park with mini golf, a maze, cafe with puzzle tables, and an illusions rooms. We got pretty much every time we go to the island.


Larissa's ball in a rather, um, unpleasant location!

Mirror maze
The outside maze
Another popular attraction is the Nobbies. It is located near the Penguin Parade and you can wander board walks and take in the spectacular coastline, seals lounging on rocks, penguins nesting on the cliffs and check out the blow hole.

penguins under the boardwalk!!


The best part if Phillip Island for me - the beach at the end of our street!!


The beach is quiet, perfect for a walk or families - the only people who use it are those with homes near by.

It is honestly one of my favourite places. I hope you enjoyed!

2 comments:

  1. I saw you posted Phillips Island and I had to click on the link. I loved that area when we visited Australia last July. It was so beautiful and we still talk about watching the penguins come to shore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they just the cutest little things you have ever seen!! I love when they get worried about all the people watching, so hightail it back to the water!

    ReplyDelete