Friday, August 26, 2011

Culture Shock

They say when you go on a missions trip that often coming home is challenging. After seeing extreme poverty and suffering face to face it is difficult to reconcile that with how your every day life looks. Culture shock.

I think I have a little bit of culture shock.

I know it sounds a little ridiculous, but I have found it very hard to settle back into routine, to find my normal again. While I didn't see extreme poverty while in the USA (not like I have on a missions trip) I am definitely struggling to enjoy my everyday life in the same way I did before the trip.



Without a doubt I have left a big piece of my heart in America. Most of all with a family that inspire me with they way they are living out their faith in Memphis, Tennessee. (I know I keep talking about them but I'm not a creepy stalker. Promise.)

I prayed before we left that this trip would be more than just a whole lot of sightseeing, and I truly believe that God used all that free time to speak to me. He's still speaking to me about a whole lot of things, but that time away created space in my head and heart for him to fill with His desires.

Figuring out just how God wants me to live out some of the things He has been revealing to me is the challenging part of returning to Australia, especially when I so want to be a part of what He is doing, and I know of a new church in Memphis who are doing some good things. I find my thoughts drifting there frequently throughout the day.

So I guess, just like after returning from a mission trip, I just need to take time to figure out what God wants me to do next, and how to use the people and places from the trip to inspire what I do in my everyday.

Has anyone, or does anyone else often find it challenging to figure out the next step? Anyone have any great stories of how they have been changed as a result of their travels?

No comments:

Post a Comment