Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Best Banana Bread

What is a girl to do on a Saturday morning when she has the house to herself and a couple of overripe bananas?

Make banana bread of course!

This is my absolute favourite banana bread recipe. It is moist and spongy, and not at all heavy like some banana breads can be. It also keeps is the fridge for up to 7 days, and freezes exceptionally well. I recently discovered a loaf in my freezer that had been in there goodness knows how long, and when I de-frosted it, it was like fresh!








I LOVE my Kitchen Aid mixer. Can you believe I brought is back from America?!
Yep, just shoved the box in one of my suitcases!




Recipe: Quick Banana Bread

1 1/4 cups (185g) self-raising flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon low-fat margarine
1/2 (110g) cup sugar
1 egg, beaten lightly
1/4 cup (60ml) low-fat milk
1/2 cup mashed banana (1 medium banana)

1. Preheat oven to 220C . Line base and sides of 14cm x 21cm loaf pan with baking paper

2. combine flour and cinnamon in a large bowl. Rub in margarine (I just did this in my stand mixer). Stir in sugar, egg, milk and banana; do not over mix, batter should be lumpy. Spoon mixture into prepared pan.

3 Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes or until cooked when tested.

How easy is that?! I made a double batch today which needed about 30 minuted cooking time. I also substituted gluten free flour for the regular self-raising flour, and lactose free milk for the milk. I promise they did not alter the end result in any way, just as delicious!

This seriously takes about 15 minutes to get in the oven, and it is so easy, just seven ingredients. I promise you will never need another banana bread recipe again!


Recipe source: The Australian Women's Weekly 501 Low-fat Recipes


No comments:

Post a Comment