Monday, August 20, 2012

Parenting with Instinct

I picked up a parenting magazine today while I was out shopping and it got me thinking, even before I opened it up and started reading.

We live in the information age, yet sometimes I wonder if there isn't too much information. There are a million and one theories on everything from breastfeeding to toilet training, where baby should sleep and everything in between. More often than no too, these theories are completely black and white: their way or its wrong.

And while I love information, I can't help but wonder if for the most part, this information really only serves to make new parents (and even well seasoned ones) feel confused, guilty and inadequate.

Once upon a time, when community was much more prevalent than it is today, parents would have moulded their style by observing those around them, emulating the skills they liked and ignoring the ones they didn't. There were no theories to try and measure up to, just the power of observation and using instinct.

Instincts can be good, and instincts can be bad, but instinct combined with wisdom, grace and love is the way we plan to go.

And a lot of prayer :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a parent, but my husband and I have learned SO much from watching those around us with kids. Love this post... and I agree. I think if I was pregnant right now or a mom, I could see myself feeling the same way. We aren't dumb people and I think sometimes the information age makes it too easy for us to not just use our brain ya know?

    "There were no theories to try and measure up to, just the power of observation and using instinct.

    Instincts can be good, and instincts can be bad, but instinct combined with wisdom, grace and love is the way we plan to go. "

    What great thoughts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete