Thursday, September 6, 2012

On My Soapbox: Natural Birth

source

I'm going to get on my soapbox a little today.

I have decided that I am going to have a natural, physiological birth.

What that means for me is that I will not take any medicinal pain relief, and that there will be no medical intervention unless there are complications and either the baby or I are in danger.

Over the last few weeks I have encountered several people who when they hear what my birth choice is their responses include something along the lines of "sure, let me know how that goes for you," or "just wait until you get in there, you'll change your mind," or my personal favourite "just take the drugs!"

The funny thing about this debate, natural or with medical intervention, is that I get the sense that those who choose to birth with the use of medicine deeply want their choices to be respected and often feel like they are looked down on by those who choose the "natural" route.

I simply wish that my choice to birth naturally, with absolutely no medical pain relief, was treated with the same respect that the choice to have an epidural is treated with.

Our choice is not every one's choice. I know it will be painful, I know it will be hard. We have a wonderful midwife who is backing our decisions all the way. We also have a couple of friends who are pregnant and have made similar birth choices to us. The support amongst the three couples is quite strong and I am so grateful for that, as some of the negativity around our choice has even been from some of our church friends.

All parents need to make informed decisions, and like most parents we have made the one that we feel is in the best interests of our family. My husband and I have made a very well informed, well researched decision about this and we are extremely comfortable with our choice.

I'll respect your choice. I'd love it if people would respect ours too.

(climbing down from my soapbox now :))

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed!! I'm planning to go medication/intervention-free, as well, and it's so hard to hear people's negative/discouraging comments. I always feel like I have to justify my decision. :(

    Good luck!! I can't wait to read about your birth experience!! And, know that someone all the way in Texas is rooting for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your sweet encouragement, Analisa. This Aussie girl will be rooting for you from all the way over here too!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's difficult when friends don't respect your choices, especially when they are coupled with caddy remarks!! You need to do what is best for you and your baby. And more than anything, you need to follow the Lord and what He has placed on your heart! If it's to give birth naturally, than go for it. He is your rock and your strength and will see you through it. Trust in and lean on Him throughout the entire process (pregnancy, labor, delivery and when baby comes!!) And of course, prepare yourself. Read, read, read and surround yourself with women who will encourage the crap out of you!

    I'm planning to share some natural Christian childbirth resources, devotions, scripture, etc on my blog in the coming weeks because I've found those things are difficult to come by. I want to always encourage other mothers as best I can :)

    ReplyDelete