Monday, October 22, 2012

Garage Sale


We had a garage sale on the weekend at my parents place, and while I was happy with the bit of cash we made there was one thing about it that really bothered me.

Early on in the day, once everything was set up I stood out in the driveway and looked back at all the tables.

They were so crammed full of stuff. Stuff that we no longer use (some of which we never used), don't like, is out of fashion or we simply have no need for.

The sight of it made me a little sick, especially knowing that we still have cupboards full of clothing, shoes, homewares, books and a garage full of Dave's stuff too.

Really, how much junk can two people have accumulated in less than four years of marriage? Apparently a lot. And we often think we need more!

Are we nuts?!

Looking at those tables piled high with what we considered junk gave me some much needed perspective.

It is way to easy to get caught up in the consumerism that exists all around us, while turning a blind eye to the fact that there is incredible need in our world. It's not easy to find the balance between living in the society that we live in without conforming to it, and holding our hands out to those less fortunate.

I know that I can make do with a lot less than I think I can, and truthfully, there would be a lot of things that I could get rid of still, and I know that I wouldn't miss it once it was gone. I hope that from now on I'll think twice before buying something I "need" for around the house.

Need vs want, people. Need vs want.

No comments:

Post a Comment